Re: [MV] HMMWV cooling fan

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 18:31:12 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ida Heath" <spike@defuniak.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 6:01 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] HMMWV cooling fan

> I don't know but I have a Humvee question, What would make the batteries
> sound like they are boiling?

Overcharging. Usually accompanied by an incredible smell indicating the
batteries are gassing off their electrolyte. I wouldn't take up smoking
anytime soon.

> Also, where is the ampmeter supposed to stay when driving down the road?
> Mine is over to the right in the red.

Your alternator's running too hot. Most are adjustable, but what's happened
is that people have had a poor engine ground at some point - have had their
battery guage read low as a result - and have then attempted to crank up
their alternator output to compensate. Well, when the ground re-establishes
itself either through chance or repair action, your alternator's now boiling
your batteries at 32-plus volts.

I think both the Leece-Neville and Prestolite alternators have the same
style adjustment. On the body of the alternator near the end opposite the
pulley you'll find an allen-key plug. Undo the plug, and beneath you'll
find an adjustment screw you can turn with a suitable slot-type screwdriver.
Make sure whichever screwdriver you use doesn't touch the side of the
casting as you're adjusting, and if you don't have a suitable one with a
non-conductive shank, play with some shrink wrap or gun tape and cover the
screwdriver shaft yourself.

As far as the ammeter reading goes, it's actually a voltmeter, and should
stay within the green area and preferably right on the 'extra' white line in
the green area.

Before playing with any adjustments however, make sure your engine and
body/frame are properly grounded to one-another, and in turn to the battery.
I had one flakey one where I demonstrated to the owner where all the trouble
with his electrical system lied simply by taking a jumper cable and
grounding the block to a suitably clean spot on the body. Everything worked
as advertised once the ground was in place.