Re: [MV] Air Compressor Gasket material

From: Bob Ternes (racecadet@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 08:58:22 PDT

These days all I use is the Right Stuff:

http://www.permatex.com/products/prodidx.asp?automotive=yes&f_call=get_item&item_no=29247

Way better than cutout "gasket material" and
heaps better than "normal" RTV. It's a bit spendy
for the can (which looks disturbingly like those
pressurized faux-cheese products, if only because
"easy cheese"* and those of its ilk are
disturbing enough), but well worth it. I do all
my diffs, oil pans, transmissions, transfer
cases, etc with the stuff now. After working on
Toyotas, I used to be quite partial to the
factory-spec "FIPG" "Form in place gasket"
materials for the most ruthless gasket
environments, but I've come to find that the
Right Stuff is superior in results and in ease of
use. Source out the Right Stuff at Napa.

*For you readers across the pond, it might help
to understand that Americans have loose
definitions of just what is "cheese". EZ Cheese
tests the notion of just what is cheese and then
turns the dial up to 11 by putting it in a
nozzled dispenser with propellant.
http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/cheese/cheese.html

Cheers
Bob Ternes