Re: [MV] HMMWV cooling fan

From: Sonny Heath (sonny@defuniak.com)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 16:15:39 PDT

I know, I have a friend locally who has one eye missing due to hooking up
cables wrong on a forklift battery a few years ago. I try to stay sorta
outside the body side panel and listen but I know they could blow when
biling.

I may have found part (Notice I said "part") of my trouble today. I found
that I failed to put the ground wire back on the alternator.

Okay, now when I turn on the ignition switch the glow plug light goes out
and the needle is in the amber and if I don't start it right away after a
few seconds I hear a click like a circuit breaker got too hot and at that
time the needle goes over to the right to green and then jumps back to amber
and after a few short seconds it clicks again and this process goes on until
I start it or turn the ignition off. Is this simply the glow plug
controller clicking and resetting or is that a circuit breaker going nuts
because a hot wire is touching something it isn't supposed to?

PLEASE give me some feedback on this and then I'll tell you something else I
found that may or may not have anything to do with the batteries boiling.
Oh, I almost forgot to mention, once I start it up the needle stays in the
yellow for a split second then eases over to and through the green and then
on to the red on the right but only half way through the red this time. I
believe with the old alternator it went all the way to the right side of the
red. Could it be possible that this alternator having been on a deucenahalf
is just turned up a little more than what is needed on the Humvee?
Certainly I couldn't be that lucky.

Now I want to also say that I have the master light switch and the dimmer
switch out because they are faulty but I'm quite sure that them being
disconnected wouldn't have anything to do with this thing overcharging.

I looked and looked and I CANNOT find a ground strap going from the engine
to the frame. I thought maybe its around the transmission area and hid by
all the tunnel and junk.

More to follow,

Sonny Heath
Bush supporter