Re: [MV] Another 3000 mile trip completed in the M35

From: Patrick Jankowiak (recycler@swbell.net)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 17:07:18 PDT

Marc,

I may try next time shifting so that I am lower in the power
band. I have been told not to lug it below 1500. I wonder what is
the minimum RPM for full throttle?

More gears would be great, or actually a higher OD ratio, but
they are as they are. Unless I want to spend big $ and have a
speed racer like Crazy Tom!

On $uch a note, I saw that Memphis equipment stated in their
recent MV mag letter "Long history of Cummins Installation" (OCT
2004, page 8) that repowering with the engine precipitated "a big
price difference". It seemed to imply a better price, but wow!
$14K + labor for the job with the 6BT 5.9 engine with HP and 400
FT. LB. Torque.

I am not saying Memphis does not give you your $ worth, On the
contrary, it's a turnkey job and guaranteed. Just too rich for my
blood for what the return is. $14K approaches the price (FOB) of
'good' eastern block 8x8 wheeled light armor. I'd rather have an
OT-64A in my driveway and kit it out for a field MCS/TOC. My
dream is an LAV (with tea kettle heater), but never happen.

The shelter on the olde M35 stands right at 7' tall, and it's
like a square brick, so it would have more resistance. I do have
front lockouts, very pleased with them, got me about 1MPG more
and I can tell the difference in acceleration.

I am not really worried about the mileage (or I would have a
regular jeep). So turning up the pump can give better MPG? See I
know little about diesels. I don't want to touch the pump, might
consider maybe 10% more, but without a pyro I would not dare.

Patrick