HELP - 12 Volt M38A1 Electrical problem

From: Thomas M McHugh (tmmchugh@msn.com)
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 11:09:53 PDT

HELP - HELP - HELP !!!

I cannot win this season. The fuel problem has been temporarily fixed by
putting the old glass top fuel pump back on after the Dual Action pump quit.

------
Now I screwed it up by leaving the Ignition switch on overnight, killing the
battery & frying wires. I had a dead short.

The wires have been replaced. Points, Condenser, solenoid were replaced.
Still no good.

The problem is I still have a dead short, when the points are closed & the
key is turned on. The distributor immediately starts to smoke.

Wiring has been rechecked, but no luck.

All the shops are closed today. Anyone have an idea what could be
wrong ??? What I can still check ???

I am almost to the point of considering a 1 LB charge of TNT & then starting
over.

If I can find someone to rebuild my other engine, I plan on going back to
the 24 volt system. Soon I hope, but not soon enough.

I hope to have this running in time for the Red Ball Transport Show, Gilbert
PA on Sept. 16 - 17 - 18.

Thanks to all that gave suggestions about the fuel problem.

Tom McHugh, NJ
1952 M38A1
M-416 Trailer
MVPA, MTA