New turbo installed bad knock still there

From: mstevens@fslf.com
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 12:35:14 PDT

If you guys can take the time away from the off-topic posts I would really
appreciate the help.

The turbo on my deuce was bad from the DRMO yard. I drove it out of the base
and had it towed home. I got a new turbo from Saturn Surplus and finally got
it installed this last weekend. There is a loud knock that has gotten louder
I believe since fixing the turbo. It sounds like a rod knock. Fairly deep
and solid and is consistent with one of the cylinders movement. The turbo
may have spread filings thru the motor. I can see faint sparkles in the oil.

I'm trying to decide the best plan of attack to finding the problem. Would
dropping the oil pan and starting there be the best idea?
On a motor this big, is it possible to check for play in the rod bearings?
Can I just reach up and see if they are loose like on a small gas motor?
Anything else that would cause this knock? The truck even with the turbo
blown and the knock still had good power and throttle response and starts up
within a second or so.

Any help or suggestions welcome.

Thank you

Matt