Re: [MV] OFF TOPIC: Draft Dodgers in office

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 19:23:06 PDT

Try actually READING what I posted. The Executive is NOT a Selectric. It was a
conventional typewriter with distinct hammers, NOT WITH A BALL. And it was available
in 1968, because I bought one used in that year. See, for example. :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Executive_series_typewriter

NOTE: Proportional spacing !!!!

There were accessories, called "Type-Its" for special characters. A special mounting
fixture was bolted to the key guide of the typewriter. To type a special character,
the appropriate Type-It unit was selected (they came in 3x5 index card boxes,
divided like a mail sorting PO box) and put into the holder on the typewriter and a
typewriter key struck. The special character was struck. I still have and use the
Executive and have the Type-Its. I may even have a 'th' in upper case. There were
hundreds of special characters available.

As to expensive, I've seen tons and tons of IBM typewriters surplus at DRMOs and the
like.

-John

-John