Engine oil recommendation

From: Douglas B Rupp (rupp@gnat.com)
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 10:13:11 PDT

My M548 with a Detroit Diesel 6V53 uses oil, not sure where. It does have a
few leaks into the bilge.

I've been using 30W Chevron Delo 400, but I see that it says its specially
formulated for 4 cycle engines. Is there a better oil to use for 2 cycle
engines?

I switched from Kendell Super-D3 to Valvoline Premium Blue on my
Lister-Petter powered genset, and it cut my oil consumption by a factor of 3
(1 qt/50 hrs to 1 qt/150 hrs), so I know it can make a big difference. I
see that Premum Blue also says its formulated for Detroit Diesels, among
others, so if nothing else I think I'll give that a try.

Any other recommendations?

--DBR