Re: [MV] M35 winch cable?

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 21:27:01 PDT

The information you were given earlier was accurate, but not exactly what you were asking-an easy mistake to make.

The capacity of the WINCH is 10000 lbs, the wire rope strength is MUCH higher. All my references are packed at the moment but if you really need the rating of the rope let me know and I will dig it up.

However, if you just want to replace the wire rope (in the wire rope industry, sizes larger than 1/4 inch are rope), smaller are cable, here is what you need to know:

The winch rope is 1/2 inch 6 x 19 right regular lay improved plow steel hoisting rope......that should be enough information for a wire rope supplier to supply the proper wire rope. In fact, that is pretty specific-equivalent to ordering a tire with the information on the sidewall). Improved plow steel wire rope has a tensile strength of 260,000 psi. If I am doing my math right that means the actual capacity of the rope on deuce bumper is 51050 lbs.

Don't get galvanized rope, it is weaker (and some say has a tendency to pull out of the drum too).

Most MV original equipment winch ropes have a fiber core, which aids in retaining lubricant, but an independent wire rope core makes the overall rope even stronger.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle