repost: Demountable headlight bulb

From: John Brian Seeling (JBSeeling@cox-internet.com)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 12:25:57 PDT

sorry, after reading my post, i guess i was a little too brief in my
description.
The application is for a half-track. The "demountable" part of my post deals
with the two types of half-track headlights, and perhaps other WWII
vehicles, I am not sure.
My understanding is that during production, there were two different
headlights: an early (not easily removed) and late ("demountable"). The
first headlights were large, fender-mounted headlights that could not be
easily removed from the vehicle. Evidently, someone decided that it would be
better to have headlight housings that could be quickly and easily removed,
so a new headlight housing design appeared with smaller headlights mounted
on the sides of the radiator in two-piece housings that would allow the
headlight to be quickly and easily removed.
I could be wrong, but I think the reason for going with demountable
headlights was to keep the bulbs from being shattered by the muzzle-flash
from some of the larger weapons systems that were mounted on the vehicle.
My half-track has the late-style, "demountable" housings. The bulbs
themselves appear to be much smaller than the earlier, fender-mounted
headlights.
Does anyone have a cross-reference or a good source for a 12-volt
replacement bulb for one of these demountable headlight housings?