CA Jeepers, car collectors - Help Defeat AB2683

From: BriMilJeep@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 20:05:50 PDT

To California Jeepers and other vehicle collectors:

The California Legislature recently passed AB2683, which would repeal the
rolling smog check exemption for vehicles 30 years and older and instead
require all 1976 and newer vehicles to get a biannual smog check . It is
currently on Governor Schwarzenegger's desk awaiting signature or veto.

This bill is based on environmental junk science. Please cut and paste the
following e-mail and send it to the governor at govmail.ca.gov:

Subject: Veto AB 2683

Text:

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger:
          I am a collector of Jeeps with historical significance. I am
writing
to request your veto of Assembly Bill 2683 (Lieber), which would repeal the
state's current rolling Smog Check exemption for vehicles 30 years old and
older.

          I have studied the issue, and also the "junk science" relied upon by
the bill's proponents. I am convinced that the repeal of the 30-year rolling
exemption would cause definite harm to large numbers of California citizens
and
businesses for no verifiable emissions reduction benefit. The facts are
consistent with my objections to this bill:

• California law recognizes the minimal impact of vehicles 30-years old
and older on vehicle emissions and air quality;

• Vehicles 30-years old and older constitute a minuscule portion of the
overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for
emissions reduction;

• Antique and classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and
infrequently driven (a fraction of the miles each year as a new vehicle); and

• Legislators and regulators are feeling the heat from a failed effort to
meet air quality goals and are looking for a convenient scapegoat, using false
data and inflated annual mileage assumptions to further their case. It is
unfair for classic car afficionados to carry the burden of their mistakes.

          There is no principled distinction between a 1975 vehicle with a
lifetime smog check exemption and a 1976 vehicle without. While I support the
goal of improved air quality and believe further emission reductions from
mobile sources are possible, I am convinced that A.B. 2683 will not help to
achieve these reductions. This legislation will only serve to impose
unnecessary social and economic burdens upon the citizens of California. It
should be vetoed.

          Thank you for your consideration.

(your name)

Brian French