Re: [MV] my first 'real' deployment

From: Patrick Jankowiak (recycler@swbell.net)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 23:41:47 PDT

I'm back.

First, thatnk all y'all for the good wishes, but unfortunately,
things have gone poorly.

Phone call #2: My boss had a seething psychotic fit, and again
made veiled threats to fire me, gave me a 'choice', and outright
(false) accusations of poor performance ever since I joined the
Texas Guard. It is a distraction from my work, you see. I know it
was a psychotic episode, because he never laughs, but he laughed
hysterically between sentences and could not stop when I phoned
him to let him know I would probably be back Friday.

Phone call #3: while I was waiting in the DPS break room he
called and said he has 300 e-mails from one customer of mine, and
was going to HR and he was going to do something about it. No
attempt to explain about emergency preparedness, public service,
the honor of military service, or any any other placation would
do. I am unprofessional, you see. I always use any excuse to get
out of work, especially any excuse to leave the cool clean office
with my 21" monitor and desk and telcom lab is, and go into the
boonies and sweat my butt off doing some real work. OOps now I am
being sarcastic.. hehe :)

In dire fear of losing my job (I doubt I can quickly get another
that pays this well), I spoke to the SGM, XO, and then Commander,
who referred me to the JAG officer. That became an interview, I
was subsequently relieved and permitted to return to my home of
record. This would not happen in the US Army but in the TXSG,
where enlistment is at will and usually unpaid, there are a few
concessions to the citizen soldier.

That having been said, we were this time in a paid status as the
disaster relief security duties come under the auspices of FEMA
(that's where the pay status comes from). So it is the proverbial
federal case.

According to the JAG, my boss has broken company policy (asI
understand it and explained it, several state laws, and at least
one federal law. Also, a form of coercion which is against the
law, and more so since it was perpetrated on a soldier while on
duty, and I am not sure what category that falls into -I don't
understand all the details that well. At this time the matter is
out of my hands, and the JAG will be taking it up with the
company legal department. In the meantime, I'll just go in to
work tomorrow AM, like an innocent little whipped puppy, and let
the ton o' bricks fall where they may in a week or so.

Most importantly to me, Ye olde bossman has stolen from me the
experience of my first real life emergency deployment with my
unit. That I will never forget, and I do not know if I can
forgive it.

Documenting all and holding my temper and toungue in check,

SGT PJ

MV content: The deuce ran fine. Slow going up the hills as usual
with that big box on the back, but otherwise, very smooth. Got to
do a real 'brake check' too as some dummy in a tiny sports car
(miata convertible?) swerved in front to exit. I hope the
screeching brakes and horn made him wet his pants. I wonder if he
got a good look in his rear view mirror at the spinning drive
flange on the front axle. I must have been only inches away. I
didn't know you could lock up the brakes on an M35. I was driving
very safely, but sometimes they are just out to get ya. Good ole
deuce and a half. It's so much truck for so little money, how can
I not love it! The 1100x20 tires are doing great, and I am
finally getting the 900x20's on the front worn down from all the
miles. I have an oil leak on the front oild filter case (at the
top).

I notice the transmission is harder to shift when hot. Any
suggestions? It has GL-1 in it.