Ivan and more

From: Nigel Hay -MILWEB (Nigel@milweb.net)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 11:44:34 PDT

I am glad you mentioned Pensecola -I am reminded a few years ago in a junk
shop in the UK I bought a graduation plate dated I think 1940 from Pensecola
Naval Air Station and with wonderful artwork of Harvard, PBY Catalina etc -
I assume these were part of the " you've passed" ceremonial dinner? it
really was a lovely piece of porcelain and I wish I had kept it, but that's
life.

And just to keep on about our love of military vehicles, in this case quasi
military vehicles - ok civvy with a strong military pedigree, the current
Madame is as I write about to get in a hired -with-driver stretched Hummer
H2 with 10 of her 18 ( today) year old daughters friends for a night out
around London's west end night spots in celebration of the daughters
birthday - god help Knightsbridge! Those of you familiar with the antics of
the Bolinger ( champagne) addicted Patsy in "Absolutely Fabulous" may
relate to my current romantic situation......
 Like cocaine, I told her it was Gods way of telling you that you have way
too much money.
 I felt it only right to spare no expense on the cost of international calls
and give them both a brief but easy to remember synopsis of the Humvee
variants and explain quite why the US Army doesn't actually use the
stretched ones - if it ever invades London by mistake it may do , but
certainly not in the desert climes of Iraq.
They listened attentively ( well they were certainly silent for so long I
thought the line had gone dead) as I explained about Kevlar bodies and how
some field workshops were attempting to armour them. Perhaps harshly, I
felt, Madame asked if I was reading this out of one of my magazines, she
was impressed when I said "no its common knowledge to us MV collectors".
They obviously understood and took the info in, because I was neither asked
to repeat anything, nor did they question anything I said.

Sadly I had to miss a lot of useful information because apparently there
was another call waiting. However, I felt that the knowledge would be
shared amongst the other guests on the hours drive into the Royal Borough,
as MV enthusiasts its important to widen the knowledge base of the public.

C'est la vie.

Nige

PS This is my entry for getting the most diverse ramblings about an MV into
a posting on this newsgroup -