RE: crane on 2 1/2 ton?

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 18 2004 - 07:49:25 PDT

Hi Dennis,

Sorry about the poor response to your fording questions.

As you may or may not know, I have written a number of articles for Military
Vehicles Magazine and some cover the subject on fording. See "Fording the
Deuce" (October 2002), for example.
The process of preparing the 2-1/2 ton truck for fording has triggered many
changes to my vehicle.
Here are some things to be aware of:

The axles have breather valves, which are designed to let air out when the
internal pressure exceeds about 1/2 psi or so. They must be checked so that
they don't let water in. You will find the same valves on the transfer case
and transmission also.

When fording waters above the axle housings, plug the drain on the bell
housing, the plug is stored next to it in a threaded "boss".

Once the bellhousing has been plugged, pull the "fording handle" on the dash
to pressurize the bellhousing and transmission. This handle, along with a
low pressure regulator, some plumbing and a check valve between the air
storage tanks are part of the Fording kit and may have been factory
installed (it was on my truck).

The rubber boot around the shift lever must be intact for the pressure to
build up in the bell housing and transmission. The pressure is continously
vented through the breather valve on the transmission.

When the water reches a level above the axle housings, there is another
concern, the "thru axle" seals. They were no good on my truck's front axle
and had to be replaced. If they leak, then the housing gets filled with
water.

I have added plumbing so that I can pressurize all axles, transfer case,
bellhousing and transmission.
When the water reaches the batteries, you have to be looking at what kind of
batteries you have. The military ones have breather valves, which will not
let water in to a depth of about 4 feet (above the batteries), the
commercial ones (not sealed) have baffles, which will let water in.
Coat battery and starter terminals with grease.

When the water reaches the crankcase breather tube, then you must add a hose
to let it breathe above the water level of course (part of fording kit).

I installed a Crankcase breather filter to permanently vent the crankcase
above 5 feet (it vents through the air intake support stand and is actually
recirculated.

The air intake mushroom can be mounted on an elbow to vent it more safely
and well above 4 feet.
The compressor intake must be routed to the nipple on the air intake filter
canister.

The steering knuckle boots must be intact along with all the outer wheel
bearing seals.

This will have to do for now, if you have any particular questions, I'll be
here.

About the originality of the crane on the deuce. Yes, it was used in this
configuration, but I don't have any manuals showing it. The crane is a 1972
HIAB serial number 17, from a Navy vehicle. It has a tag stating that it is
to be mounted on type M35A2C trucks only. My truck bed is home made.

Have a great day,
Bjorn