XM211 Automatic Transmission oil

From: Winget William A Contractor CIV JTFCS J5 (William.Winget@jtfcs.northcom.mil)
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 06:49:44 PDT

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED
A friend with the XM-211 truck off e-bay last week just e-mailed, wants to change out the transmission oil and items before moving it down to the Virginia Penninsula. What wieght or type of oil is commonly used?
Correct me if I'm wrong please. Originally it started out as 10 weight oil, then if modifications were done by the Army such as rebuild program, etc. it was filled with ATF fluid.
Now I recall reading in MIL Veh Mag or here, that you should always replace it with the type that's in it to ensure continued use, as swaping without the modification is deadly (to the transmission)
If so, how would one tell what type fluid is in it currently (Assuming the old dirty ATF would look just like old dirty 10 weight)
Now if I'm off base, please let me know. I recommended he subscribe to Mil Veh Digest, and also contact whomever was offering that manual last week for $40 or such....

PS: Virginia War Memorial Show / ralley is OCT 23rd weekend in Newport News, Va. Won't have 2000 vehicles there, maybe 2000 patches.....but will have around 20+, vehicles show up if everything holds together. Nice little event, but we'll never see 2000 of any vehicle show up in this part of Virginia.

W Winget
www.vmpa.us

XXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxx