Re: [MV] Help! Muriatic acid and aluminum don`t mix!!

From: Paul Farber (farber@f-tech.net)
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 18:32:30 PDT

DDoyle9570@aol.com wrote:

>>I don't want to be rude,
>>

>I don't care if you think I am rude or not, but I am right.
>

>>Pls provide proof (and not some lab experiment or some yahoo eating
>>

>2/3rd the way through metal with abrasives) that these things are actual
>concerns.
>
>Or is this list full of old wives and thier old wives tales :)
>
>Huh????? Are gonna tell us next that the world is flat, and that the Appolo missions were filmed in the desert, and that Elvis lives?
>
>It has been a number of years since I sat in a college classroom a studied work hardening, cold working and nitrogen embrittlement...but all of these things are very real, and have been of concern to engineers for ages. However, since you seem to think engineers know nothing, perhaps you should check with an old-time blacksmith who does not have a college education. He can verify this.
>
>In the meantime, I'm glad you have yet to suffer any ill effects from your "it hasn't happened to me so it can't be true attitude."
>
>Regards,
>David Doyle

I NEVER said that the process of embrittlement, work hardening etc never
happen.

 Sure, you can bang on a sheet of metal so it breaks... but that means
you do not know how to anneal the metal for working. And if you do
media blast springs (from small carb springs to 5 ton axel springs) you
need to do it correctly. That fine spring needs glass bead. That bix
axel spring cannot be cleaned in such a way that it glows red hot from
your improper media, pressure setttings or cleaning techniques.

FWIW I clean small/delicate parts with electrolytic rust removal. It is
THE safest way to clean parts. Alkali solution cannot damage the metal,
so unlike acid and media based cleaning it removes only rust. So if
your spring is gonna break, it was already broke to begin with.

If you clean a part in phosphoric acid it will take you a LLOOONNNGGGG
time to introduce the hydrogen you fear.

Maybe I haven't screwed up big enough yet to do what you say happens all
the time???

It seems that Politics, Religion, the proper paint color of a WWII jeep
and rust removal are the quickest way to get people foaming at the
mouth. Geez.