Re: [MV] Spring Failure

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 18:40:06 PDT

Paul Farber wrote:

>Parts are not designed with 'extra metal' to overcome corrosion

That is 100% accurate....most items are built with a safety factor to compensate for all manner of extraordinary circumstances, ranging from rust, to overloading, to temperature extremes.

But I find it extremely interesting that you change positions on discussions at the drop of a hat. A few hours ago, your position was blast or dip away, that neither could possibly affect the integrity of a metal part. Now you seem to be saying that these same parts are so precisely engineered that any rust would unacceptably degrade performance.

Then you post that an alkali solution can't harm metal. Lets see, this thread began with a fellow's problems cleaning light metal parts. Tell you what, take the winch housing of a deuce, or the air intake bracket on a Multifuel truck, and put it in a caustic bath--by definition an alkali. Leave it overnight....after all, the all-knowing Farber says it won't hurt it...tell us all what you find in the morning.

I think that the real circumstances are that you are prepared to argue either side of the issue, without benefit of facts nor research, if this means you will see your name on the internet.

Rude, and not caring.

David Doyle