Re: [MV] Help! Muriatic acid and aluminum don`t mix!!

From: Larry Tighe (larryradio@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 18:57:00 PDT

Very interesting discussion so I checked with my consultant and he sez:

Hydrogen embritlement is why the tips of good quality screwdrivers
are not chromed. They are left bare. The processing of the chrome
plating causes hydrogen embritlement. Some acids will do that.
A short bath with something as heavy as a truck spring I doubt
would do anything.

On #2, I find it extremely unlikely that media blasting could cause
a spring to break. In fact, shot blasting (not quite the same thing)
is used as a treatment to put the entire surface of parts like racecar
connecting rods into compression, so they do not get stress riser
related cracks.

Hope this helps,

Lar