Re: [MV] Help! Muriatic acid and aluminum don`t mix!!

From: Paul Farber (farber@f-tech.net)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 15:30:01 PDT

Douglas Greville wrote:

>Larry
>

>>Hydrogen embritlement is why the tips of good quality screwdrivers
>>are not chromed. They are left bare.
>>

>The things you learn from this list! Here I was thinking that was just
>the manufacturers trying to make their product have character and stand
>out from the rest......
>
>Regards
>Doug
>
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Armoured Vehicles Collector
> _______
> _/_(_o_)_\_ ____
> _/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
> / [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
> /\_ [o] [o] _/\ Broken Hill __/=_|____|_=\__
> |w||___________||w| N.S.W. /__\__________/__\
> |w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
> |w| \_________/ |w| |w|$ \______/ $|w|
> [w] [w] [w] [w]
> M8 Ferret
>
> dgrev@iinet.net.au
>
>Web Armour site at:
>
>http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/lsm/dhmg/index.html (UK mirror site)
>
>and
>
>http://www.trackpads.com/heavymetal/index.html (US mirror site)

This was forwarded to me:

Subject:
Spring failure
From:
VLMUKE@aol.com
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:39:46 EDT

To:
mil-veh@mil-veh.org

Hi
I think I can shed some light on the spring issue I work for an axle
company we make axles with capacities ranging from 200 lbs to 20,000
lbs. Some springs get shot blasted prior to assembly at the vendor some
don't. The reason why is to stress relieve them, it makes them last
longer. On large items such as leaf springs hydrogen embrittlement from
a cleaning solutions isn't an issue as the material is typically too
thick, now on the other hand a small spring such as a brake spring made
with piano wire using a cleaning solution could cause hydrogen
embrittlement and thats very bad.

A leaf spring typically fails(breaks) from a inclusion or a stress
concentrator usually from a piece of scale or residue during the
manufacturing of the leaf.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask
RichB
vlmuke@aol.com