last Sunday's offroad adventure

From: Marc Strangfeld (curlyjoe98@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 02 2004 - 09:51:08 PDT

I have posted some pictures of my M35 from last
Sunday. A local fourwheeling club holds a rally every
year on a member's private land. I decided to go and
show them why six wheels are better than four. There
was a main hill consisting of loamy dirt which was
roughly 100' high and had several paths going up it
with varying degrees of difficulty. I made it up all
seven of them except two. One path had a mogul in the
middle that I would have surely hung up on and the
other path was unconqerable by anyone (there was a
3.5' ledge at the bottom). One of the most amazing
runs I made was a path that had a log buried every 30'
creating a ledge about 1.5-2.0' high. Picture a very
large set of stair steps. There was no problem
climbing the logs as long as I blipped the throttle
slightly when I could feel the front wheels touching
the log. The truck would just hop right up it and the
tandems would climb over it like they were along for
the ride. I did have the air pressure down to 20 psi
in the front and 15 psi in the rear and I believe that
helped a lot. The mud hole as you can see, I didn't
make it through. It was about 150' long and had lots
of deep ruts running every which way. The first
attempt didn't even get my rear wheels in the mud as
the front plowed in and sank immediatly. The second
attempt was from another direction. I got a good run
at it and hit the mud hard enough to bring the
passenger front wheel off the ground when the drivers
side fell into some ruts. About halfway my momentum
was gone and I had to be winched out. A 56' civilian
Powerwagon with a pto winch did the trick.

The deuce was the hit of the day with everyone
watching with different levels of amazement. The
articulation of the front axle and rear tandems is
amazing. After all my screwing around I realize that
nothing broke but the mud is a major project to clean
off. Next time I see mud I think I'll pass.

There weren't many pictures to post as the the camera
was used on all the runs to take digital movies. But,
they do give an idea of what the obstacles were like.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/curlyjoe98/album?.dir=2da9&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/curlyjoe98/my_photos

Enjoy,

Marc