Diagnosis of injectors, 6.2l, 6.5l, GM Diesels/ DB2 pump

From: chriscase (chriscase@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 07:00:34 PDT

After much internet research, I've learned some stuff that might help.

Glow plugs gain resistance when heated: checking them with an ohm meter will
give a guess at how well each cylinder is functioning- inefficient
atomization = lower ohms. Check several, (warm, running engine, wires
disconected) look for more than 1 ohm low.

Spare injectors can be checked at home by hooking them to a disconnected
line and running engine.

I used these concepts yesterday find a couple weak ones in my M1009 Blazer,
check a couple used ones from a core motor, swap them out, rechecked the old
ones and the ohms. The good ones atomize to nebulous fog, the poor ones were
a 'grainy' fog, some mist involved. One's ohm reading improved, other one
did not, but it does idle smoother. I may not have warmed it up enough
though. No seat of the pants improvement in power though. Changed fuel
filter too. I'll check my mileage this week, see if it improves.

The Fram filter was $28 at one store. House brand was $20 ar another store.
Both made by Stanadyne- it's printed on the backside.