Re: [MV] M151 answer

From: Jim Gilmore (jgilmore@ptd.net)
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 08:18:03 PDT

Sonny wrote:
>I worked on and managed maintenance on these vehicles in the U.S. Army from
>1961 until 1982 and I can't remember ever reading anywhere that they are a
>MUTT. I thought they were Truck, 1/4 Ton M151, M151A1 and M151A2. Whats
>wrong with that description?

    The name MUTT was given to this vehicle all the way back to the first production contracts. There are many press releases from the designer, originator and first producer of the M-151 (T-122), Ford Motor Company, that describe the unit as a "MUTT" and go on to state what this acronym means. Early Government press releases also used the "MUTT" designation as well.

  The first technical manual for the unit (XM-151) dated 30-June-1954, describes it as "Truck, Utility 1/4 Ton, 4x4"

  Data from: Ford Motor Company Industrial Archives, SMVO (Special Military Vehicle Operations) files.

Jim Gilmore