Re: [MV] MUTT quits running

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 10:14:35 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "m35products" <m35prod@optonline.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2004 9:01 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] MUTT quits running

> Is there a correlation between engine temperature and failure interval?
>
> Perhaps your ignition coil is defective. Many times they will open at high
> temperatures.

I've had a few of the electronic ignition modules that have gone
intermittent like that - mostly the type with the non-adjustable pickup -
and the symptoms were much as the lister described. Last time it happened I
was 30 miles from anywhere in the middle of an abandoned railroad grade, but
fortunately, I had a complete spare distributor on board as running spares.

Nowadays I carry a spare electronic distributor and an additional complete
points-equipped plate and rotor for middle-of-nowhere expeditions in M151s.