Re: [MV] M35 Turbo upgrade: Thermocouple and Pressure Gauge

From: Dick (rertman@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Oct 03 2004 - 14:25:16 PDT

Patrick, that's not a good place for the thermocouple. You'll be measuring
only one cylinder. The reading will be high because the exhaust gas does
cool a bit before getting to the turbine inlet. Look at any Turbodiesel
commercial truck and you'll see the sensor in the exhaust manifold where the
turbo bolts to it. That's THE best place to put the sensor, IMHO. I've
owned and worked with diesels for about 38 years and done a lot of research
on the subject. A thermodynamics engineer friend at the Lockheed Skunk
Works (where I worked) even did a full blown thermal analysis and came to
the same conclusion.

You're looking to measure the TURBINE INLET TEMP and the only place to get
it is right at the turbine inlet, with the sensor in the gas flow via a hole
in the manifold near where it joins the turbo.

Enjoy,

Dick