Re: [MV] 700R4 and 208

From: Bob Ternes (racecadet@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 10:10:04 PDT

To add to this, the 700r4 didn't receive final
refinement until the late 80s, shortly after
which, the 4L60 took over, which existed for a
short time before computerization added the -e
suffix to this new designation. The 700r4's
upgrades happened around the 1987 mark, and as I
recall the sunshell was upgraded and some other
refinements made.

http://www.700r4.com/

By the way, any 700r4 or similar swap must
include provisions for the TV cable. A mate just
put a TBI 350 into an S10 and smoked the tranny
within a fortnight because he neglected the
Throttle Valve cable...

Fitment with the 208 case is interesting. Again
from memory, the 208 case uses the same 6 hole
pattern that the 231 has (and a bevy of other New
process-cum-New Venture gear transfer cases). The
thing about the 700r4 ilk is that they came in
two patterns where the tcase adapter bolts on -
one is 5 bolts and the other is 4 bolts.

In my opinion, to swap to the 208 (which is a
fairly good example of one of the newer chain
drive aluminum cases), get the adapter first and
then find the appropriate tranny donor for your
project. I have two 700r4's sitting in my house
(one belongs to a wrenching pal), and one is a
4L60e shell with 4 bolts on the rear and the
other is a nameless 700 or 4L60 with 5 bolts. So
just make sure you get the right tranny shell.

Cheers
Bob Ternes
68 M35a2, worked on creating the 52" tire project
this weekend!