Re: [MV] 2.5 and 5 ton Air Brakes?

From: GOTaM35 (GOTaM35@joetrapp.com)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 19:19:03 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Gill" <rmgill@mindspring.com>

> So what's the consensus on the list of the type of brakes as regards
> an Air Brake endorsement? Are they considered Air Brakes or not?
>
> I ask because today in latest of many long visits to the DMVS, I
> obtained my Non-Commercial Class A license. However, their contention
> was that an Air Brake endorsement is only for Commercial trucks
> (huh?) and for the Commercial Driver's license.
>
> Is the use of Air to boost the hydraulic system a true air system or
> is it just another boosting system just as Vacuum (really air on the
> outside) is used to boost brakes on many passenger cars.

Attention Ladies and Gentlemen:

Air brakes use air to move air chambers that move a couple of types of
mechanical devises to spread apart brake shoes. The most common is the "s"
cam. These air chambers can only moves so far before they bottom out, so
the slack adjusters have to be checked periodically. They are a completely
different type of system than brake shoes that are moved apart by a
hydraulic cylinder.

If you take the air brake test you have to have a knowledge of the working
and maintenance of air brakes. You have to do daily inspections of the
slack adjustors. Air over hydraulic is "hydraulic" brakes. Other than
checking the brake fluid there is nothing to inspect daily. You must keep
an eye on air pressure, but that is the only thing.

Next fact. At least in SC you don't have to have an air brake endorsement
anymore to drive a truck that is under the 26,000 pound size. We have
several trucks with air brakes under 26,000 that are stopped by DOT in SC
regularly and driven by guys with out air brake endorsements. Your results
may vary.

If you are a pickup man and don't know anything about air brakes, crawl
under a big rig and look around. It's a completely different animal.
Here's the question of the day. If I hook up my air brake trailer to my
deuce, do I need an endorsement? For the record, I have the air brake
endorsement, and I had to have an air brake truck to take my test many years
ago. Of course my usual disclaimer: I have forgotten more than I remember,
so I could be wrong :-)

Joe Trapp
67 Kaiser M35
40(?) M3A1 Scout car

PS. Drove the 2004 F350 to Florida this weekend to help clean up. I only
wished I had the time to drive the deuce, we could have used the dump bed.
(The deuce is a beloved truck, it's just to slow and hot)