MODIFIED VEHICLES & INSURANCE

From: noel shelley (noel@shelley1722.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 07:50:24 PDT

 Hi All,
            that ENHANCE the safety of the vehicle rather than detract from
it? apb

For insurances purposes vehicles have a History of risk , and any deviation
means that the vehicle is non standard and therefore no history .
I fitted a diesel engine in a MV landrover , the engine though bigger was
less powerful than the gas engine but did twice the mileage per gallon . The
conversion is so common the parts are commercially available . I have a well
equipped engineering workshop and am in THE TRADE but I still had to have an
engineers report detailing ALL changes ,and an inspection ! EVEN then the
premium went UP . Many companies wouldn`t even give a quote .
Be careful , if your honest you may find that no one will cover you .
Look at the size of some claims , do you wonder that they try to avoid
paying out .
UNLESS you are competent , qualified , well equipped and are prepared to pay
a large premium for the luxury of modified brakes I would leave well alone !

                                     It`s the world we live in
Noel .