Re: [MV] M880 crew cab?

From: Ron (rojoha@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 13:45:02 PDT

USAF bought lots of them in the late 70's and 80's, but didn't call them
M880's. Most were originally Federal Strata Blue then painted a similar
green to the Army units. Some had the interiors painted green, some were
left in FS Blue. USAF ones sometimes had 383's with power steering instead
of the M880's 318s and armstrong steering. We (MA Wing CAP) used to get them
from Westover AFB, Pease AFB and Loring AFB, but 2 we got came from USAF to
the Army at Ft.Devens, then to CAP. Both of the former USAF/Army ones had
Black out light systems installed, one using wire nuts. So you wouldn't be
incorrect if you wanted to do one as an army vehicle. A couple of them even
came through with factory air and AM radios. Just throw an Aerodrome signal
light sticker on the dash and enjoy.
    We turned a rusted out mid 60s Dodge 2wd step side crew cab back in to
DRMO in the early 80's that had been sitting in the grass for a couple of
years at a squadron. When I pulled the air cleaner off to check for mouse
nests and ether access, I found a big, honking four barrel carb on the 383.
SAC knew how to order go fast equipment! It was a fun ride back to Ft.
Devens DRMO, even with dry rotted snow tires in back.
Ron