Re: [MV] M880 hard to start

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@arrl.net)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 02:40:28 PDT

The main important item to carry is a spare ignition resister, it is held
onto the engine side of the firewall with one sheet metal screw and
connected with two electrical plugs. A common failure item on older
Chrysler products. I had a 1975 Dodge one ton with the 318 engine and with
less than 2,000 miles the resister failed. Never drove after that without
two spares in the glovebox. I didn't want to try and find a parts store if
I had to replace one so I carried two. Even with a blown ignition resister
it will still start but immediately stall when you release the key, when
cranking the ignition resister is bypassed and the full 12 volts is fed to
the ignition coil, when it starts and you release the key the power for the
ignition coil is rerouted via the ignition resister.

Jim

At 12:18 AM 10/9/2004, m35products wrote:
>Things to check when it won't start:
>
>Spark Fuel Air.
>Pull a plug wire off a plug, and see if the spark is bright. Perhaps your
>coil is affected by heat. I would try swapping it with a known good one.
>
>apb

James Shanks
n1vbn@arrl.net
1985 M1009