M1010 Fuel Tank/ HAZ MAT potential

From: Ron (rojoha@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 07:43:54 PDT

While taking photos of the radio bracket this AM, I noticed a small dead
spot of grass under the truck. Looking closer showed it was killed by
dripping fuel.
    Crawled under the truck and found the tank is leaking at the end closest
to the wheel well, up on top where there appears to be a rubber splash
shield in contact with the tank top. Doing a little contortionist routine,
got my hand up on top of the tank but couldn't find any fuel on top. Appears
to be coming from the rounded top corner of the tank (street side) which
doesn't appear to 'terribly' rusted, but it ain't pristine. Rubber splash
shield probably kept the crap that DID get up there moist and from being
washed off by the wheel spray. Kinda like the transistor protected by a fast
blowing fuse that blows before the fuse does.
    Is this tank peculiar to the M1010 only, or is there a civilian
equivalent?
    Anyone got one in case it's toast? Sources of vendors who might have an
NOS one? How about good take offs from you smoke wrench pilots cashing in on
the scrap by cleaning up your back forties?
    TIA, Ron