CUCV 12v conversion?

From: Caleb Pal - MilVeh (m1009@defcon-3.net)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 18:03:24 PDT

Hey all,

Our fire department has a M1008 that they want to convert to 12 volts. They
would like me to do it, as I have worked on them a little and they want to
save money. Has anyone done this or have any tips on it? I am thinking one
alternator goes, one battery goes, 12 volt starter, bypass the glow plug
resistor on the firewall and thats basically about it. Still need to figure
out how to do the key ignition to power 12v to the 12v solinoid, but besides
that I think its pretty straght forward. I am thinking the passenger side
alternator would go, as it is the 12-24v one and the drivers is the 0-12v
one, so it should continue to charge the battery. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Caleb Pal

1984 M1009