Re: [MV] An old deuce generator and a 1 horse AC motor?

From: noel shelley (noel@shelley1722.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 02:59:34 PDT

Have you ever looked at the surplus generators on www.surpluscenter.com ? I
can't figure out whether they'd be an acceptable replacement for an M35. If
so, could the 200 amp. unit be used as a welder too? With their controls
listed on the website, I mean.

I Don`t know , BUT the answer should be yes !
A number of years ago I came across an Australian setup that was based on a
normal vehicle sized alternator by Bosch and some boxes of tricks that gave
240v power{or110v } boost charge for any voltage battery and also drive a
3,2 mm welding rod . It was marketed under the name of AUTO ARC , ferreting
around in the workshop has turned up their leaflet , that must be 20 years
old , the name Goddard Enterprises can be read on the box shown , this
mentions brush motors so I fancy it may be DC output. By getting round the
normal voltage regulating controls alternators can do allsorts of things .
The frequencies at which the three phase is produced lends its self to
efficient transformation , or using much higher voltage control for the
output of DC at 110 or 240v .

Hey Doug , do you know anything about this one ?

                 Best wishes to all Noel