Re: [MV] mil veh war story

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 18:43:20 PDT

At 8:44 PM -0400 10/19/04, Steve Grammont wrote:

>Absolutely and without a doubt. But other things are going terribly
>wrong. The issue is can we fix what is wrong, but that is unlikely
>unless someone is accountable for the mistakes. And not admitting
>anything is wrong is not the right direction.

Well, I think people'd have been hard pressed to
get FDR to admit any mistakes in his prosecution
of the Second World War. Doing so could have
given some good material for Hitler or Tojo to
use in their political machines alone. Or some
weak point to target.

>If a tool breaks when it is used for the wrong job in the wrong way... do
>you blame the tool or the one wielding it? The Army didn't decide to
>invade Iraq with 1/3 the number of troops it said it needed to stabilize
>the country.

Steve, while not another 2/3s of troops, remember
the 4th ID was cooling it's heels out in the
harbors off the coast of Turkey while everyone
else was going in. A mech Division coming in from
the north vs the much smaller balance of Kurds
and SF dudes would have made a serious difference
I think.

How much of the remaining ready reserve would
have been required to provide the troop numbers
that the Current AAR's are saying were needed to
prevent the insurgent war from blooming? How many
more NG and Reserve units would have required
activation and how many would have been able to
activate and train up to required levels in time?
I don't ask simple questions do I?

Mind you I'm keeping this strictly military
tactics/strategy based as I'm hoping that's
sufficiently OT for the list and those not
wanting to discuss politics.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)