Re: [MV] new Merkava

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 13:56:57 PDT

Agreeing with Ryan's other points and taking one a bit further...

>Powerpacks seem to get better and better for a given fuel ratio. But
>then tanks aren't really meant to be all that great at fuel
>efficiency.

Also consider that Israel is highly unlikely to operate its tanks very
far from a logistics point. The IDF also chooses when and where to use
its forces these days, so they can make sure the logistics are set up
before an operation starts. As long as the country itself can procure
the fuel it needs, and doesn't mind the cost, then range and fuel
consumption aren't really issues they need to worry about.

I've always been impressed with the Merkava. It is also one that is not
talked much about by treadheads as far as I can tell, probably due to its
limited chances of being engaged in a full armor on armor battle. Always
nice to see a discussion about lesser known equipment.

Steve