Stryker

From: Darrell Ramsell (daram@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 00:12:23 PDT

 Actually Kyle was in a M-2 Bradley and not a Stryker. Kyle was saved
because the armor above him was 4 inches thick and the IED went 3 inches
deep. Unfortunately the blast blew through the top of the turret killing
the vehicle commander and gunner. As Aaron pointed out the blast initially
stunned and blinded Kyle who was the driver. As soon as Kyle realized what
happened he hit the gas and was able to clear the area before insurgents
could target the vehicle in an ambush.

As for the Stryker, I recently found an interesting picture in which the
vehicle has a sort of fence around it.
http://www.drum.army.mil/division/avn/3_17cav/new%20web/Pictures/HHTpics/S3%20PIX/dec%2012/stryker%20ready.JPG
My take on it that it's designed to either destroy or detonate RPGs before
they can hit the vehicle.

The picture is pretty big so you can see a lot of details. It appears that
this is a command vehicle since it has 4 antennas. It's interesting to see
that they added sand bags and it has a wire cutter to. It also has a remote
gun but I can't make out what gun it is. It looks like a .50 cal but the
ammo can looks like it holds larger ammo. I also see plenty of MREs on it.

I also notice the Army HMMWV has the new black out light on it. Does any
one know when the military started putting this type of black out light on?

Cliff, can you shed any light on this?

Darrell