Ram- and M35 parade tale-lengthy delete now

From: Bill Kealey (cwkealey@atlanticbb.net)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 17:45:46 PDT

> you were right...
> mixing diesel with the veg oil made the French fry's taste oily......
>
> rikk

That may be so, . . . but inquiring minds want to know . . . are the french
fries Better that way?

And, which of our very popular fast food emporiums have you sampled this
seemingly delightfully scrumptious delicacy?

***********

MV CONTENT: Last evening I had a great honor. A member of the
"Mountainside Marines", veterins of Iwo Jima and other great battles,
stopped by my home last week and asked me to transport them in my M35A2
during a parade in South Cumberland, MD. I was delighted and honored beyond
belief. Not having served in the military I felt it not my place to drive
them but offered them the truck if they could provide a driver from their
ranks. Then, I remembered my neighbor from across the street, he is very
quiet and private, but I recalled that he had served in the Marines. I just
wasn't sure when, not that it mattered. As it turned out, he is a member of
their organization but served at the end of the war, also in the Pacific.
He is a member of our fire department and has experience driving M35's with
the fire department. I asked him and he cheerfully agreed to drive them.

The day before yesterday a saddened man confronted me and advised that he
would not be able to drive after all as he was needed for a church function
at the same time as the scheduled parade.

I had spent every possible hour getting the truck ready for the event. The
Marines did not want the canvas cover on the back of the truck as they
expected approximately 25 members to show up and all would be waving at the
crowds. The night before I listened to the weather report, the Weather
Channel is infallible right? At the request of the Marines I removed the
cover. Well, naturally, it rained the entire day, mostly drissle. I had to
be at the parade meeting area no later than 1730 hrs. to get the banners and
magnetic signs as well as the Marines on the truck and figure out where to
go. So, without anyone around to assist and in the rain, I put the cover
back on and sungged it up. I don't have the straps to hold the sides up
when rolled up so had to improvise but we got it rolled up. Due to the
weather and health of some of the Marines they could only get five of the
members at the parade. But a very cheerful and humorous group they became
and rolled the cover back to the next to the last bow, opening the rear of
the truck further. Yes, they insisted that I have the honor of driving
them. Several of them could have done so but refused, insisting that I be
allowed to share in this privilege. And away we went. The parade got
started around 1900 hrs. and we actually pulled out of our parking place at
around 1915 hrs.

The Marine in the pickup played the Marine Corps. Hymm (sp?) on his PA
system and had the truck really dressed up well with flags and banners. He
knew the way, not that it was difficult once in line <grin> but you never
know with me, I could have made a wrong turn in the excitement. We had a
blast. Well, not the M35A2 "Green Goblin" as the horn decided at that point
not to work. <gloom, despair and agony on me>

The crowds were spectacular, standing in the rain, I thought that they would
have cancelled tha parade due to weather but the streets were lined on both
sides shoulder to shoulder and several deep.

The scarest part of the whole parade was as we passed a side street with one
of the HS bands. I guess they didn't know who they were trying to impress
... but playing "Anchors Aweigh" got the Marines stirred up a bit ... but,
it turns none were armed.

Then after we left the parade and were on the main highway (three lanes each
direction) and going up hill, the truck lost all forward movement. I
checked the gears and they were okay but with the engine running and revving
up we steadily drifted to the shoulder of the highway. Having just replaced
the universal joints, I just knew that the old truck was going to let me
down right there on the side of a major highway through the city, with these
wonderful veterins sitting in the back and the cover of the cargo/troop area
open to the rain. Oh, yeah, and we were only about three hundred yards and
one big intersection from the parking lot where their vehicles were.

Then, the light switched on and the hamster started running in the little
wheel. I hit the lever for the transfer case and found that it had popped
out of gear. Put it back in gear and off we went.

They just laughed it off and offered to allow me to drive them during the
weekend of November 13-14 in Keyser, W VA for the Veterins Day parade.

Hope the heater I ordered is in by then. And more incentive to get the '54
USMC M38A1 back on the road.

What an honor, I never realized how that would feel to help in this way. I
had planned to have it in several parades last summer when it broke down and
I had to put off those plans. One of the Marines even asked how much I
would charge to let them use the truck. I laughed and told him that I
should be paying them for this honor.

Just wish that the photos had turned out better. Digital cameras are nice
but when push comes to shove the old 35mm has it beat in so many ways. I
will have both for the next parade.

Bill Kealey
MVPA 24623
1954 USMC M38A1