Re: [MV] Bradley Incident

From: Darrell Ramsell (daram@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 18:02:32 PDT

Gents

Here is what I received from Kyle's Father. This was actually based on his
phone conversation with his son shortly after the incident and not as a
letter as I originally thought.

I'm still trying to find out when it happened but I think it was in April.

Darrell

Darrell,

Since Kyle was not hurt I received no communications from the Army. The
notification I sent out was from my 2:30 am phone conversation with Kyle 18
hours after the incident. (Communications were black-out until Sgt. Ledesma’s
family was reached.)

Late Saturday evening while on patrol on the freeway Kyle's Bradley was hit
by an IED. His Bradley Commander was killed and the gunner was severely
injured.

Kyle's training kicked in even though he was temporarily blinded by the
blast. He immediately slammed the pedal down to get out of the "kill zone"
while frantically trying to restore communications with what was a
completely destroyed radio. Once out of the area, he pulled over and dropped
the rear hatch so that the dismounts could pull the injured gunner out of
the burning Bradley.

Kyle thinks the IED was a new type since it was mounted to the top of an
overpass and went right through the reactive armor. Three feet to the right
and Kyle too would have been killed (and possible the rest of the crew).
Kyle's hatch has numerous shrapnel three inches deep into his hatch. The
hatch is four inches thick.

Kyle is physically OK, but pretty shook up. This is the first death for the
1/7 Regiment on this deployment so it hit the whole unit hard.