Re: [MV] Humvees Auctioned to Civilians

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 23:30:45 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Burke" <julian@knology.net>
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 4:54 PM
Subject: [MV] Humvees Auctioned to Civilians

> The gov't doesn't sell them to anyone except other Federal or State
> entities. Humvees that are unserviceable or junk are cannibalized and/or
> scrapped by mutilation. That's the story. Julian Burke

Mostly. Some have come out through GSA as 'residue' vehicles ranging from
"anyone got a set of glow plugs?" to heavily cannibalized frames and bodies.
I don't have the whole story from GL but apparently any HMMWV that's
remotely salvageable gets shipped to some central place in the 'states and
either scrapped or reworked for overseas customers. Even dogfood body
remnants that a million monkeys with body hammers couldn't sort out in a
lifetime have gone the same route rather than wind up in a local GL sale or
the scrapyard, so..go figure.

(My favourite 'excess' had to be a series of geared hubs which showed up on
the market which had the ball-joint mounts cut off with oxy-acet equipment.
Then GL had brand new geared hubs for sale some time after on a sale with no
EUC required. Umyeah.)