Re: [MV] Fiberglass boards for M1008 Troop Seats

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 10:18:47 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Harris" <papercu@hotmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2004 7:03 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Fiberglass boards for M1008 Troop Seats

> Hi Bruce (and List) If you don't find any closer I have them. They are
used
> and are from M35A2 troop seats good shape but have been painted tan. Here
is
> a few pictures. Also if you saw Cliff (?) pictures the other day he has
> modified some HMMWV troops seats for his M880 that looks neat.

The first time I came across the fiberglass troop seats for a deuce I
thought, "cool - no more wood rot, swelling - less weight...awesome idea!",
but I found that fiberglass has a few drawbacks too.

It seems like the ends of the troop seats like to splinter quite nastily -
especially at the end right next to the tailgate where people like to grab
them as an aid to climbing in the back. If you grab a splintered end and
try to help lever yourself up, you're going to wind up with at least a good
pinch and quite probably a decent-sized fiberglass cut to boot. Looks like
the military realized that too, as a couple of the recent lots I've come
across have the splintered ends guntaped/duct-taped to help cut down on
calls of "Medic!".

Anyhow, mileage varies as always, but the cuts'n'stuff are things I've seen
when film extras load themselves into the back of the M35, and experienced
the hard way myself jumping in and out of them at work.