Re: [MV] judging the information by the person delivering it

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 08:56:13 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "everette" <194cbteng@bellsouth.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2004 6:46 AM
Subject: [MV] judging the information by the person delivering it

> whoever is responsible
> picked a fellow with "presence" - but his "presense" does not appeal to
me,
> been a long time since a loudmouth impressed me. But if others like the
> show and him I say "carry on"

There's a difference between a genuine "loudmouth" and someone who becomes
one for the benefit of the cameras as an acted role. Ermey practically
patented that role over the last 15 years, and has been sought after to play
it in everything from "Full Metal Jacket" to "Space: Above and Beyond",
"Casper" and as a voice-over artist in numerous cartoons. While it may be
possible for your sensibilities to be offended to such a degree by a
caricature in a teleplay of whatever standing, I think most are still able
to both appreciate and maintain the distance between the role and the person
performing that role - however closely they are perceived through long,
professional association.

I watched Ermey talk to people at the recent MVPA convention courtesy of
videotaped footage and a few anecdotes from attendees, and the guy wasn't
being "loudmouth" to anyone who didn't wish him to step in-character for a
moment or two.

I don't know Ermey personally nor have I ever met him, but I know people
who've worked with him who say he's a Good Guy. It shouldn't matter to
anyone whether he was a D.I. in real life or not as regardless he's
obviously had ample opportunity through exposure to the best/worst of them
to create such a successful "presence" for the cameras, and that's what's
being offered up for public consumption -- not his military resume. I
somehow doubt anyone would expect that Sean Connery once captained a Soviet
nuclear submarine or that James Earl Jones was truly an Admiral in the USN,
yet we're perfectly happy to consider the actors as separate entities from
their portrayals in those circumstances. The same yardstick/courtesy should
extend to Ermey by default.