Re: [MV] M35 Exhaust Brake installation

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 18:52:42 PST

Joe,
Downshifting to slow down implies engine braking.
With the exhaust brake (or jake brake) you have a lot more engine braking
power and can head down the mountain at a faster pace for a given load.
The only thing that can go wrong with the exhaust brake is the possibility
of the butterfly valve locking up in a closed position, which would
overpressurize the exhaust system if the operator didn't notice the
situation. During my short test drive, I was careful not to step on the
accelerator until the valve was wide open again after a braking run. The
noise tells the story.
Overpressurizing the system can cause the exhaust valves to "float" and that
can certainly do severe damage to the engine.
The military used the exhaust brake on the 10-ton trucks when they were
equipped with diesel engines. The gas engines had apparently enough engine
braking power by virtue of the throttle valve.

To me the exhaust brake is a safety feature.

Bjorn