Re: [MV] 24volt to 12 volt converter

From: Jim (W7LS@BLARG.net)
Date: Thu Nov 11 2004 - 10:19:00 PST

Hi, Everett.
  That technique works just fine for something like a siren, a heater, or a motor. However, for radios and other electronic equipment, it could blow the radio because the 'voltage reducers' act by sharing the load, and when the radio is not drawing much load, the voltage across it will rise above safe levels.
  A 'voltage converter' is an electronic box that contains some whiz-bang (technical term) parts that charge up a coil and then discharge it at different rates and so on, such that it creates a smooth, constant 12v output, irregardless of the load you put on it. It does this at a very fast rate, like a few thousand times a second. Sometimes you can hear the whine, not unlike an alternator whine on the car radio.
  The 'voltage reducer' is maybe $20 and the 'voltage converter' is more like a hundred bucks, depending on what ratings you need. Hope this helps. Jim