Vets Day Event in My Hometown

From: Jack (milveh@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Thu Nov 11 2004 - 14:37:12 PST

We just finished our towns largest Vets Day event
since WWII. What a great turn out by some of the best
people you would ever want to meet.

Our guest speaker was my kid, SF, SSG. He made it on
TV and was written up in 3 local papers, which has to
make parents feel kinda pround, so I hope you
understand and forgive me for mentioning that part.

Anyway, it was a great event, we had a childrens
chorus, a symphony and they had this adult choir that
is going to D.C. next year as part of the 9/11
ceremonies that was top notch. They did this history
of America in song that was fantastic. That number
made for a lot of wet eyes and folks glad to be
Americans. Earlier they sang every military branch
theme song and got so many standing ovations it was
amazing.

I can't recall a better big event that was still real
personal, really uplifting, gracious and patriotic.

We put the call out for the MVCC to help us out with
vehicles, but I guess every town has a need, so only
two showed up. Chico is a pretty big place so I had
hoped to get more than 2 MV's. That part was a
personal let down, but it didn't seem to make much
difference to those who attended.

As for me, speaking as a vet now, as time goes by it
seems like those military years were ancient history
and I tend only to remember the good stuff now.
Probably better that way, know what I mean? I felt
like I was there to help put it one for other people.

One last thing, when one of the liberal media was
interviewing my kid, she asked him this leading
question among several others and it went like this,
"Don't you feel a lot of people joining the military
are poor kids and just want to earn money towards
their college education?"

His reply was kinda like this, "In my unit we have
three non-coms with BA degrees, one with a masters and
several others close to a degree. I never met anyone
in 8 years that joined the military just to get the
college money and get out. I know a lot of people who
joined because of 9/11 and because we want to be here
to serve our country."

He spoke a long time with this reporter and hopefully
she came away with a better understanding of who our
military people really are, when this next News and
Reviews comes out we'll see how much go thru to her.