RE: [MV] The Great Escape - Slightly OT

From: Nigel Hay -MILWEB (Nigel@milweb.net)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 06:59:05 PST

If its the same as the one shown in UK, its a stunning feat of both military
engineering under duress and of archaeology.

The famous scene in the Great Escape with Mr McQueen roaring up and down the
Swiss border on his motorbike is probably one of the best military
motorbike chases ever. I may be wrong but I think rather appropriately he
is wearing a Rolex watch.

A less famous but equally delightful military motorcycle chase is in the
1992 film "Born to Ride" in fact made more delightful for me as it features
my military Harley with some other "replicas" in a tale of "daring do"
behind enemy lines before America had actually entered the war. I recall
they had about 6 Harley WLA's and WLC's plus some modified MZ's (lighter for
the stunts) plus the obligatory CJ3 jeep on this film which was destined to
disappear off the radar. It loosely tells the story of how America woke up
to the fact that cavalry no longer meant horses in the 1940's.

"Square Eyes"