Re: [MV] HUMVEE hit a land mine in Iraq.

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 13:35:34 PST

At 12:53 PM -0800 11/17/04, Cliff S wrote:
>not to be a party pooper, but these kinds of pics arent supposed to
>be out yet...........it deals with the armor and how it
>faired...........and how well the occupants survived.

The thing is, I don't expect the HMMWV with an up armor package to be
very good at being resistant to mines. My 40 plus year old ferret is
better because it has an armored hull that's one sealed component
with a large angled armor plate inboard of the wheel station. HMMWV's
with the external armor are still just bolting plates to a frame that
aren't going to do much good against mines.

All the new Mine Resistant Military vehicles have special seats,
shearable bolts for the suspension components and extra armor around
the wheel stations so the blast is focused up and out vs into the
wheel station. Its a combination of making sure the parts that take
the force of the explosion are carried up and away and that the
vehicle itself absorbs as little of the blast. That way, with proper
shock mounting on the seats, the crew are subjected to the minimal
amount of sudden force that could break bones and worse cause spinal
trauma.

Our boys need Casspirs or their equivalents for their patrol work.
Those are mine resistant and optimized for what they're doing over
there. HMMWVs are not even close to right.

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/mp-mrv.htm

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -