Re: [MV] M825 ?

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 19:27:52 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "mark witham" <m151tx@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 9:49 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] M825 ?

> Hi Everette.
>
> The M825 is the later m151a2 version of the previous
> m151a1c 106mm recoiless carrier.
>
> It is really easy to spot as the rear panel is
> differant from the standard 151 to allow tme m79 mount
> to roll into place.

A bunch of them came out in halves about 10 yrs ago from some desert storage
area and weren't in half bad condition (get it? 'half'-bad??) Going by
memory here, but I believe the rear suspension on the M825 was beefed up
significantly to compensate for the weight of the weapon, and the driver
manuals of the time encouraged drivers to exercise EXTREME CAUTION when
driving the vehicle without the weapon mounted due to the "unique handling
characteristics" of an M151 with no appreciable rear spring deflection.
One of the 825s converted back to the M151A2 configuration used to show up
at events in the Pacific Northwest and B.C. about 10 years ago and it looked
pretty decent. I never did climb underneath to check out the state of the
rear springs.