Re: [MV] registration and laws

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 09:37:10 PST

At 9:08 AM -0800 11/18/04, Horrocks, Aaron wrote:
>Do you honestly expect the police officer to
>have memorized all the Vehicle Codes, even the
>obscure ones covering MVs? There's too much for
>any one person to know. He sees a vehicle
>without plates, and thinks he's doing his job and

Well, there are these little books that cops can
carry around. They contain the statutes that
they're enforcing. That way, when they write you
up for violating a given law, they can write down
the right law that you've violated.

I had a judge throw a ticket out when the officer
had written in the "offense other than above"
section, "driving on ticket from cobb county".
The judge looked at me and the solicitor and
said, last I checked, that wasn't illegal, I'm
dismissing this case.

Basically, if the officer can't be bothered to
write it all up correctly, some judges will be
hard asses and kick it out.

>pulls it over. The Texas MV registration, while
>seems like a dream to some of us, can also seem
>like a lie when you're telling it to a cop. I
>don't want to appear if as if I'm taking the
>cop's side, because I've had problems with
>overzealous police here in CA, and take
>precautions now.

What is it they say, ignorance of the law is no excuse?

>It's a bit late at this point, but I'll
>recommend this again: Keep a copy all your
>registration, insurance, and applicable laws
>(Vehicle Codes, Demilled gun laws, etc) in a
>large zip-lock plastic bag in your glove box. It
>keeps it clean, dry, and orderly for when
>something like this happens. Even if you're an
>expert in TX registration, People are far more
>likely to trust a piece of paper than a person's
>word. It makes the difference between an
>inconvenient stop, or a drawn-out paperwork
>battle.

Already planning on doing that when Georgia law
allows me to run with the "bumper numbers".
Especially out of state.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)