Speaking of filling holes (military veh related)

From: Buzz (buzz@softcom.net)
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 10:22:53 PST

Guys,
FWIW,
During the pre Vet's Day parade bull session the subject of storing engines and equipment outside
for long periods of time came up so I thought that I'd share experiences.

Bees inhabited a GPW muffler via a rust out. When the vehicle was started the owner had to high
tail it outa there to get a can of raid.

Several stories of wasps making nests in unlikely places like air cleaners, under dash, inside a
broken tail light, etc. Open hoods, doors, toolboxes SLOWLY! and be ready to retreat rapidly.

Small wasps nest in a seized M38A1 jeep engine, #4 cylinder that had exhaust vale open so entrance
via exhaust manifold.

Mice like to get into seats where there's plenty padding to use for nesting materials. I bought a
1-1/2T chevy where the seats were all chewed out and found the nest in the compartment under the
truck's beg.

Mice also made a nest in a lower radiator tank that had been left sitting open. Bees and wasps also
like radiators, maybe it's the ready made honeycomb.
mud daubers will plug up smaller openings like open fuel and vacuum lines.
I had a old Ingersol Rand air compressor that had prime cups on the top of each cylinder. When I
attempted to add fuel I found everyone was plugged with mud.
Another jeep had all of the brake bleeder valve holes plugged with mud.

Then there's some kinda critter that enters small holes then leaves a white sticky cocoon like
substance behind.

So if you're gonna store equipment for any length of time be sure to cover ALL the holes big or
small. If the piece is gonna be out of the sun I used duct tape. If it's gonna be exposed I use
the Heavy Duty aluminum foil and rebar tie wire.

Buzz