Re: [MV] Link to an interesting court case

From: Alan R Wise (awise1@cinci.rr.com)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 08:06:42 PST

What you are discussing is apples and oranges. Collusive bidding in regards
to a federal DRMO auction is not the same- or even close- to eBay. The eBay
activity is still open to millions of other bidders, as well as being a
private company. It is certainly NOT illegal by any stretch. No matter what
a small group of folks do, a million people are still able to bid on any
item at any time.

on 11/20/04 10:20 AM, JEFF HAIN-MATSON at flmv@flmv.net wrote:

> correct, what you are doing is illegal!! it is collusive bidding, and i bet if
> these other people are in different states, the FBI would be involved. not a
> pretty picture.
>
> Steve Grammont wrote:
>
>> Wow... I have "cease fire" arrangements with probably a dozen fellow
>> eBayers so we don't wind up killing each other over items of mutual
>> interest. Instead we email each other and see if other arrangements can
>> be made. Guess I should be looking over my shoulder for some DA looking
>> to make a name for himself :-)
>>
>> Steve
>>
>>> for everybody's information:
>>> The below link should also include the same cases against the top 20 people
>>> buying surplus at the time on the east coast. A new U.S. attorney out of
>>> Philadelphia was trying to make a name for himself, convinced that there had
>>> to be collusive bidding since the acquisition cost vs. the sale price of
>>> tractor trailer sized lots was so big. Several dealers pled guilty (Sarafan
>>> was not one as far as i know). the charges were dropped eventually against
>>> the rest, and the new U.S. attorney was fired for wasting lots of taxpayer
>>> money on what was found to be a non issue!!

>>> --
>>> JEFF HAIN-MATSON
>>> FRONT LINE MILITARY VEHICLES WEB SITE: http://www.flmv.net/
>>> WRIGHTSVILLE PA