Re: [MV] Link to an interesting court case

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 15:19:13 PST

At 6:07 PM -0500 11/20/04, Dan Maguire wrote:
>Hi Steve,
>
>> And how many of them know each other and, more importantly,
>> are working in collusion? Near zero.
>
>I thought that you said that you and eleven
>other people decide which one of your group will
>bid. That group comes to mind. If each single
>bid represents 12 people that have informal or
>formal agreements, that means that instead of
>144 people going at it, there are only 12. How
>is that in the seller's best interest, again? :-)

Of course technology in this case can stack the
deck for or against the sellers. In this case,
overall, it's stacked against us. More so with
the GL website. In an in person auction, you know
who you're bidding against. Its certainly not
collusion to want to not bid against your
neighbor for a lot of cattle when you could just
as well get it. Moreso, if you are an agent for
the same group it's certainly not in your
interest to bid against another in the same group.

The e-bay system and more so, GL, enforces some
anonymity among the bidders to the point total
mystery.

Frankly, I'd rather not bid on the same piece of
WWII British kit that my partner in a WWII
restoration project is also bidding on. He and I
are in the same organization (a 501 (c) (3)) and
have a joint LLC in the restoration of an Armored
car.

Does that fit the basic concept of collusion?

Must a company bid against itself? A Club? This
is hardly two or 5 people working to defraud the
seller.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)